[Mimedefang] Home use of servers (WAS: New spammer trick?)

Troy Carpenter troy at carpenter.cx
Wed Nov 26 12:18:04 EST 2003

As a home user as well, I just route all my outbound email through my
ISP.  They don't seem to block mail of any kind as long as the
originator is on their IP block...which means I don't need to use my
ISP's email address in the "from" list.

And, as a home user I use relatively aggressive blacklists, and yes, I
saw roaringpenguin.com get rejected the other day.  But, I have the
luxury, with low mail volume, to examine my reject logs daily and adjust
my filter as needed.  Most of my rejects are from dialup accounts and I
have seen the spam count that gets through everything (first the
blacklists, then spamassassin) drop to one or two per week.

I have a list of domains in my filter that get skipped in the blacklist
checks, and roaringpenguin.com was added to my exception list last week.

Now I would think ISPs themselves and businesses wound need to be a bit
more lax than I am about the blacklists...but then again the real reason
I am running my own mail server is that I CAN be and AM more aggressive
in filtering than my ISP.

Troy