[Mimedefang] New spammer trick?

Matt Cramer mscramer at armstrong.com
Wed Nov 26 08:14:27 EST 2003

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003, Mark wrote:

> > In addition to blocking any server that answers with a HELO argument of
> > one of our domains, or one of our addresses, we also require that the HELO
> > argument be either a FQDN or an address (basically we look for a ".").
> > This has cut down on a huge amount of spam.
>
> I think there are too many PC clients out there who just send the computer
> name as HELO. And that computer name is seldom a FQDN (at least not with
> home users). Too many a time I get something like "HELO familyroom" from
> them. :) You really want to exempt your own clients from these checks.

I do no filtering on my outgoing mail so this isn't a problem.  For every
one legitimate company trying to send us mail and issueing "mail1" or
something as their HELO argument, I am blocking tens of thousands of spams
from ratware that sends "HELO ksdfhj" or some other random string.

Matt

--
Matthew S. Cramer <mscramer at armstrong.com>          Office: 717-396-5032
Infrastructure Security Analyst                     Fax:    717-396-5590