[Mimedefang] New spammer trick?

Matt Cramer mscramer at armstrong.com
Wed Nov 26 08:11:41 EST 2003

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003, Jon R. Kibler wrote:

> Matt Cramer wrote:
> <SNIP!>
> > Plus it is a SHOULD in the RFCs, which is good enough for me.  But that
> > has only happened a few times, and it has been worth it.
> >

> Which RFC? I have been looking for that reference for some time and cannot find it. I know I probably looked right past it...

RFC2821, section 4.1.1.1  Extended HELLO (EHLO) or HELLO (HELO):

   These commands are used to identify the SMTP client to the SMTP
   server.  The argument field contains the fully-qualified domain name
   of the SMTP client if one is available.  In situations in which the
   SMTP client system does not have a meaningful domain name (e.g., when
   its address is dynamically allocated and no reverse mapping record is
   available), the client SHOULD send an address literal (see section
   4.1.3), optionally followed by information that will help to identify
   the client system.  y The SMTP server identifies itself to the SMTP
   client in the connection greeting reply and in the response to this
   command.

Matt

--
Matthew S. Cramer <mscramer at armstrong.com>          Office: 717-396-5032
Infrastructure Security Analyst                     Fax:    717-396-5590