[Mimedefang] New spammer trick?

Joseph Brennan brennan at columbia.edu
Tue Nov 25 11:05:13 EST 2003

> I have not had any false positives yet. And why would I, even? There is
> never ever a legitimate reason to pretend to be my server. So, anyone who
> does, is banished for all eternity.

Some PC clients say HELO followed by domain name.  I don't know
where this standards-non-compliant convention originated but it's
been around for a while.  It's probably to avoid having the PC
look up its own hostname on dynamic lines.  Hosts that do smtp
service for PCs need to allow this, unless your only supported
clients don't do it.

Joseph Brennan         Columbia University in the City of New York
Academic Technologies Group                   brennan at columbia.edu