[Mimedefang] delete spam based on score

Malcolm V farkit at iinet.net.au
Tue Nov 25 01:58:11 EST 2003

On Tue, 2003-11-25 at 01:49, David F. Skoll wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 WBrown at e1b.org wrote:
>
> > I was pondering this very issue over the weekend.  Is it better to bounce
> > the message so that a legitimate sender knows about the delivery failure,
>
> Yes, with one caveat below...
<snipped>
> The caveat:  It is better to discard rather than bounce viruses.

What is wrong with bouncing viruses? Most modern viruses run their own
SMTP engines, which merely ignore the bounce.

If a legitimate mail server is trying to deliver an infected email, I
want them to know that it was bounced and why. If they then have to deal
with undeliverable bounce messages, etc, then they may start thinking
about filtering what their server accepts in the first place.

Cheers,
Malcolm V.