[Mimedefang] delete spam based on score

WBrown at e1b.org WBrown at e1b.org
Mon Nov 24 09:42:20 EST 2003

mimedefang-bounces at lists.roaringpenguin.com wrote on 11/21/2003 08:19:20
PM:

> I discard at 9.1 but with an important caveat.
> I do an action_bounce on mail I reject.
> This makes absolutelly sure a valid message never disappears.
> The sender is always notified that their messages has been rejected.
> I've rejected thousands of messages and only had less than a handful of
> false positives.
>
> If for whatever reason a valid message is rejected, if the sender is
> informed then they will be able to resend their message, or contact me
> fix it.
>
> Management gets really pissed when messages just blackhole.

I was pondering this very issue over the weekend.  Is it better to bounce
the message so that a legitimate sender knows about the delivery failure,
or is it better to drop it so that a spammer doesn't know and cannot probe
your filter to see what will go through.

My own inclination is along the lines of Luke's last line above... I hate
hearing from users when they don't get their mail.

What is the consensus out there?