[Mimedefang] Busy Mail Server

Jon Fullmer jon at jonfullmer.com
Thu Nov 20 10:45:28 EST 2003

Are you sure the problem rests with the sendmail servers?  I had a similar
issue a few months ago.  We had two sendmail servers acting as a front-end
for Exchange (we didn't have them load-balanced with Foundry's, just MX).
When the connections got heavy, it was actually the Exchange server (running
Exchange 2000) that was buckling. Ironically, I haven't found Exchange to be
designed for handling a large influx of e-mail very well by default.

We investigated the issue, but ended up replacing the Exchange server (with
a much beefier box) and upgrading to Exchange 2003.  It's been fine ever
since.

Hope that helps!

 - Jon