[Mimedefang] Mail exchangers at roaringpenguin.com

Mark admin at asarian-host.net
Wed Nov 19 19:19:53 EST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "-ray" <ray at ops.selu.edu>
To: <mimedefang at lists.roaringpenguin.com>
Sent: Thursday, November 20, 2003 12:59 AM
Subject: Re: [Mimedefang] Mail exchangers at roaringpenguin.com

> On Wed, 19 Nov 2003, Mark wrote:

> > And I still cannot find 209.195.84.23 being listed anywhere as MX
> > record for roaringpenguin.com.
>
> I may be off base, but MX records are only needed for incoming mail.
> Outgoing mail can be sent from anywhere, so outgoing smtp servers
> don't need MX records.

This is true. And if memory serves well, a connecting mail server does not
even need a valid PTR. I was a bit surprised, though, as I received mail
from both addresses, this one too:

Hence, I was surprised; as some mail apparently goes out with the IP of the
roaringpenguin mail exchanger, and other mail apparently not. :)

> This is a major source of spam... spam coming from IP's that have
> nothing to do with the domain of the sender.  Hopefully, something like
> RMX can fix this.

I look forward to its implementation. :) Meanwhile, it remains a good idea
for roaringpenguin to get 209.195.84.23 delisted at dynablock.easynet.nl.

- Mark