[Mimedefang] how much spam does the average large company get?

Andrew J Caird andrew.caird at fccc.edu
Wed Nov 19 16:38:04 EST 2003

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003, Matt Cramer wrote:

> I know the commercial spam fighting tools' marketing usually claims that
> 40-60% of a large company's mail is spam.  Is that accurate in others
> experience?

On our primary gateway we reject about 30% of the incoming email, but we
err on the permissive side.  On our secondary gateway we reject about 50%
of the incoming email (spammers tend to use higher priority MX hosts
assuming (often correctly, but not in our case) that they are less well
maintained from an anti-spam/anti-virus standpoint).

I agree with another poster - graphs are good - they can be very
illuminating for trends and spikes, and are excellent tools in discussions
with people who don't care about email in particular.  It's something
everyone with an MBA can understand, and in combination with non-technical
explainations will often get you what you want.

Good luck.
--
Andrew