[Mimedefang] OT: Fedora (was RE: Clam/MIMEdefang install procedure)

Kelson Vibber kelson at speed.net
Tue Nov 18 15:37:19 EST 2003

At 11:14 AM 11/18/2003, Kenneth Porter wrote:
>Any idea if Ximian Red Carpet has a Fedora channel?

Not that I can see.  I don't know if they plan to or not.

Up2date has definitely improved - it doesn't require a Red Hat Network
subscription anymore, it can talk to apt and yum repositories (configurable
through /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources), and it's possible to run either
interactively or from the command-line (so you can add an "up2date -u" cron
job).  It's not quite up to the level of Red Carpet 2, although for update
purposes I'd put it on par with Red Carpet 1.4.  The main drawback is that
the GUI doesn't support browsing uninstalled packages (although you can add
a package and its dependencies from the command line).

Yum is also included in Fedora Core 1, and it's easy to get apt and
synaptic from FreshRPMs, DAG, or ATrpms.  (In theory these three are
working together to avoid conflicts, but they all have their own versions
of apt, yum, and synaptic.)

Kelson Vibber