[Mimedefang] Ways to express filenames

Steffen Kaiser skmimedefang at smail.inf.fh-bonn-rhein-sieg.de
Fri Nov 14 08:19:35 EST 2003

Hello,

I just wanted to tweak my filter a bit more by mapping all passed through
filenames to plain ASCII without any embedded bad characters, like ?*,;&.

For testing purpose I used an attachement called "Dnsä.pl" (Dnsä.pl)
and was surprised to find that my filter never got triggered, I usually
use UW-Pine to compose mail; here are my findings:

(ripped from my mailbox files)
=== sent by Pine

=== sent by Mozilla v1.2.1

====

What am I missing? RFC2183 does not say nothing about the "*=" delimiter
for the "filename" attribute, nor does the value "iso-8859-1''Dns%E4.pl"
seems to be covered in there. Mozilla does name both attachements
correctly (Dnsä.pl), but MIMEDefang does not pass a de-mangled filename
to sub filter(), in MIMEDefang the filename is: iso-8859-1''dns%E4.pl

Is this a bug in MIME::Tools? Some too new standard?

Bye,

--
Steffen Kaiser