[Mimedefang] Where do I find the information to fix this error?

Jim McCullars jim at info.uah.edu
Thu Nov 13 15:47:00 EST 2003

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003, Michael O'Doherty wrote:

> Nov 13 14:41:12 mail sendmail[7261]: hADEf2M7007261:
> milter_read(/usr/local/bin/mimedefang): cmd read returned 0, expecting 5

   I have seen this error before.  I *think* it was caused by confusing
the socket files.  There is one file for sendmail to talk to mimedefang,
and another for mimedefang to talk to the multiplexor.  In your
sendmail.mc file you should have this:

INPUT_MAIL_FILTER(`mimedefang',
`S=unix:/var/spool/MIMEDefang/mimedefang.sock')

(with possibly some arguments) and then in your MD startup script, you
would have this:

# The socket used by mimedefang to communicate with sendmail
# SOCKET=$SPOOLDIR/mimedefang.sock

then later on in the startup script, you should have this:

# The socket used by the multiplexor
MX_SOCKET=$SPOOLDIR/mimedefang-multiplexor.sock

  But if you put the wrong sock file in the wrong place, you will get that
error.

  HTH...

Jim