[Mimedefang] MimeDefang + SpamAssassin on Solaris 9

alan premselaar alien at 12inch.com
Sun May 25 22:14:01 EDT 2003

Mathew,

 see comments inline:

On 5/26/03 10:43 AM, "Mathew Thomas" <mathew.thomas at rmit.edu.au> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I am now certain that my SpamAssassin part is not working, rest of the
> features are working fine.
> I read in one of the newsgroup mail that by  adding couple of lines as below
> in mimedefang-filter file will put X-Spam headers to mail.
> md_log_enable();   # beginning of the filter
> (my $log_names = $names)=~s/,/;/g;
> md_log('spam_score', $hits, $log_names);

these commands above will only add information to your log file. you have to
add the headers from within your filter. check 'man mimedefang-filter' and
look for 'action_add_header'.

...snip...

> sapmassassin -t < mail-msg
>
> Has anyone successfully installed MIMEDefang+ SpamAssassin on Solaris 9?  I
> don't know where I am wrong?  If it won't work properly on Solaris 9, I can
> try it on Solaris 8.

When SpamAssassin is called from within MIMEDefang, it's not permitted to
alter the email in any way (including adding headers).  you need to do this
yourself from within your filter. you can do this based on the results
returned from the call to spamassassin if you choose.

Although I've never run this combination on Solaris, this doesn't sound like
an issue specific to Solaris 9, it just sounds like you weren't aware of the
way spamassassin integrates with mimedefang.

hope this helps,

alan