[Mimedefang] [Off-Topic] Graphical environment for servers (was Re: [Mimedefang] Can't locate Unix/Syslog.pm)

Kelson Vibber kelson at speed.net
Thu May 29 12:34:00 EDT 2003

Kenneth Porter <shiva at sewingwitch.com> wrote:
>There are some tasks for which drag and drop is more convenient, and some
>useful apps that don't have CLI equivalents. Notably Red Carpet for
>updating a RH machine. 99% of the time I use the CLI (using PuTTY on Win32)
>but when I'm updating, RC is very handy.

Actually, Red Carpet does have a CLI now.  If you've already moved up to
version 2, it's probably installed - do a "man rc" for more info.  If it's
not installed, add the Red Carpet channel and install rc and rcd.

But I do agree, there many are tasks for which a GUI is better suited.  I'd
much rather download software using Galeon or gFTP than Lynx or a CLI ftp
client, and it's nice to have GKrellm running so you can monitor
connections, CPU, memory, etc.

Kelson Vibber