[Mimedefang] Can't locate Unix/Syslog.pm

Edgars Klepers mimedefanglist at eklynx.com
Wed May 28 15:58:01 EDT 2003

My 2cents from someone who's learning.  These are all personal opinions.

I really wouldn't agree with this..  People can say that the "not supporting
x is suicide" argument about linux.    All standard linux distros are
supported with source. Most people use redhat because it's the most "User
friendly" and it seems to be the most popular.  But guess what. Both are big
minuses as well, especailly as a server system.

You don't want user friendly on a server.  Make things too easy to set up
and everyone will start doing it and have no clue what is happening..  Great
example:  IIS and Exchange on M$ servers..  Many people that are in charge
of running these servers have no clue what is actually happening and when in
comes to either security or troubleshooting a problem, they're clueless. (I
work internet tech support and have to put up with many of these people who
get payed 10x what I do..  I'm in the wrong job...)  down side:  you have to
*gasp* learn!

As for most used:  more people use it means more attacks. More script
kiddies, etc.   There are many automated attacks now that specifically
target redhat systems because most people don't bother to uninstall all the
extra crap and change configs to secure machines.  The down side:  support
on technical issues on a lesser used system can be more difficult.

Source code is the universal support.

That's also why I also switched to gentoo.   Everything is compiled from the
source.  You just do "emerge <package name>" and it downloads the tarball
and automagically installs it via a script (which you can edit).  It will
protect certain directorys (like /etc/*) so it wont overwrite configs. Most
core systems I let gento emerge, and other things I installed myself (a la
./configure && make etc....).  X will never touch my server. I left that to
my laptop.

Once again, my own personal 2cents.
Take it for what you will, these are my opinions only.  As I said I am still
learning many things and ignorant in many ways.

-Edgars