[Mimedefang] Can't locate Unix/Syslog.pm

Ole Craig olc at cs.umass.edu
Wed May 28 14:46:23 EDT 2003

On 05/28/03 at 13:16, 'twas brillig and Michael Sims scrobe:
> Quoting "David F. Skoll" <dfs at roaringpenguin.com>:
>
> > I currently run a motley collection of Red Hat versions, as well as
> > test setups running Solaris and FreeBSD.  But I put Gentoo Linux on
> > my laptop and I love it... I would seriously consider Gentoo if I ever
> > had to rebuild my mail server.
>
> I agree on Gentoo. I played with it not long after it hit 1.0 and I
> was really impressed. I'm sure it's only improved since then. The
> install documentation is just fantastic. I learned so much about the
> Linux kernel, filesystems, etc. just from installing Gentoo. And for
> someone who's never touched any of the BSD's, emerge is just
> amazing. IMHO it's much easier to deal with than RPM, and it's
> cleanly implemented too...

> The only reason I'm using Red Hat on my servers is that I was not
> confident enough in my linux admin skills to try and make a go with
> Gentoo. With Red Hat if I run into a problem I know that a couple
> thousand people have probably already dealt with it. With Gentoo
> it's a couple of hundred and if I'm really unlucky it would be a
> couple dozen or just a couple. :) Since then I've learned a lot and
> I think my next server will be running Gentoo...

	I've played with Gentoo also, and while it's a neat idea, one
thing I definitely *don't* like is the lag between "Oh, I need this
package installed" and "Ah, it's (finally) finished building itself
and all the dependencies it engendered." One of the nice things about
rpm is the speed with which you can install.

		Ole
--
Ole Craig * UNIX, linux, SMTP-ninja; news, web; SGI martyr * CS Computing
Facility, UMass * <www.cs.umass.edu/~olc/pgppubkey.txt> for public key