[Mimedefang] SMTP Tarpit

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Sun May 25 14:05:01 EDT 2003

On Fri, 2003-05-23 at 19:19, David F. Skoll wrote:

I'm not so sure... I think TEMP_FAILing anything questionable a time
or two would make it substantially more expensive to deliver
spam if a lot of places did it, and even more so if they responded
with the failing status as slowly as they could afford to based
on their own load at the time.  The trick would be to decide when
to accept the retries on things that may be legitimate without imposing
too much delay or too much work for the server.  I think making sure
the oldest timestamp in the headers is at least 30 minutes ago (maybe
longer at night) would work until the spammers caught on.

---
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com