[Mimedefang] SMTP Tarpit

listuser at numbnuts.net listuser at numbnuts.net
Fri May 23 22:51:01 EDT 2003

On Fri, 23 May 2003, David F. Skoll wrote:

> On Fri, 23 May 2003, Kenneth Porter wrote:
>
> > <http://www.martiansoftware.com/articles/spammerpain.html>
>
> For my counterpoint, see:
>
> http://groups.google.ca/groups?q=tarpit+useless+skoll&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&selm=1IacnVrTXaNE_imjXTWcpQ%40magma.ca&rnum=1

My use of the word tarpit in an earlier thread on this list was incorrect.
"honeypot" more accurately describes what I'd like to do.  I've achieved
most of my goals.  Unfortunately I still have the problem of what to do
with a spamware dictionary harvesting app checks the existence of a
username it knows shouldn't exist.  I can't think of any good ways of
doing that.  Does anyone know any ways to distinguish gibberish from what
might be a real word (or at least uses a real word)?  That would be key I
think.  Anyhow, I thought I'd point out my incorrect use of the word.  It
should have been honeypot.

Justin