[Mimedefang] problems with bayes (?) database access

Kelson Vibber kelson at speed.net
Fri May 23 13:26:01 EDT 2003

Dirk Mueller <dmuell at gmx.net> wrote:
>spamassassins autowhitelist or bayes database currently don't work with
>mimedefang, because they don't lock the database so concurrent access will
>destroy them.

Actually, SA *does* lock the Bayes database.  The problem is that when it
needs to expire old entries, it takes a *lot* of memory.  Since it's being
called from MIMEDefang, if you've placed a limit on the amount of memory
allowed per MD slave, it can easily hit that limit, the slave will be cut
off, the lock file will stay in place, and no further MD slaves will be
able to access it.

In other words, the access problems are the result of a stale lock file,
not concurrent access.

Check /etc/sysconfig/mimedefang and see if you have MX_MAX_AS defined.  Try
removing it or increasing it.

When I first activated Bayes on my setup, we had this problem so frequently
that I wrote a cron job to check for errors in the log and automatically
restart the multiplexor and delete the lock file.  Someone pointed out the
memory issue, so I upped MX_MAX_AS to 120000 on April 14, and there haven't
been any problems since.  It had been hitting at least daily before, and
since then it hasn't even been triggered *once*.

Kelson Vibber