[Mimedefang] problems with bayes (?) database access

Nels Lindquist nlindq at maei.ca
Fri May 23 13:12:00 EDT 2003

On 23 May 2003 at 14:11, alan premselaar wrote:

>  I figured i'd post this here, since the error messages are coming thru
> mimedefang-multiplexor.
>
> recently, i've been getting a lot of the following errors in my log file:
>
> May 23 14:01:07 uchuu mimedefang-multiplexor: Slave 1 stderr: Cannot open
> bayes_path /etc/mail/spamassassin/bayes R/W: File exists
> May 23 14:01:16 uchuu mimedefang-multiplexor: Slave 1 stderr: Cannot open
> bayes_path /etc/mail/spamassassin/bayes R/W: File exists
> May 23 14:01:29 uchuu mimedefang-multiplexor: Killing busy slave 1 (pid
> 27372): Busy timeout
>
> in conjunction with an unusually high amount of
> "bayes.lock.<hostname>.<numer>" files in my /etc/mail/spamassassin
> directory.

<SNIP>

> i'm running RH 7.3, perl 5.6.1, MIMEDefang 2.33, SpamAssassin 2.54, Sendmail
> 8.12.9

This is odd--looks a lot like the problems people experienced due to
bugs in the expiry code in earlier SA releases, but I thought that
had been fixed since SA 2.53.

Still, you might try sa-learn --force-expire and see what happens.
Make sure you check the permissions on the db files afterward, as the
expiry process creates a new bayes_toks file owned by the account sa-
learn was executed under.

Do you have any automatic rebuild happening?  I'm still running an
hourly cronjob which calls "sa-learn --rebuild" and it at least
doesn't *hurt* anything.  Maybe it'll help. :-)

----
Nels Lindquist <*>
Information Systems Manager
Morningstar Air Express Inc.