[Mimedefang] Debugging MD/SA handoff

Geoff Thornton gthornton at networksgroup.com
Fri May 23 11:36:02 EDT 2003

I'm trying to perform some tests to determine if SpamAssassin is
consistently parsing the "Received:" headers sent by MIMEDefang correctly,
and I'm looking for the best approach.  I've found that the parse_headers
subroutine (in the Mail::SpamAssassin::NoMailAudit package) does not always
seem to construct the Received headers properly, at least when testing
against messages saved as files.  (I first noticed this when RBL tests would
not fire consistently against either MIMEDefanged messages or test file
messages.)  Now, I'm wondering if the same problem exists when MIMEDefang
hands off the message to SpamAssassin.

I don't claim to be an expert in this matter, but I would like to pursue
further testing to explore this issue.  What I would like is a simple code
insertion to save a copy of the message generated in the spam_assassin_mail
subroutine of mimedefang.pl.  If the file is saved in the working directory,
if will be deleted after the message is delivered, so I'm looking for a more
persistent holding place that I can perform some off-line tests.

Hopefully this is not too complicated or ridiculous a request...

Sincerely,

--Geoff Thornton