[Mimedefang] Suggestions on rejecting relays that provide syntactically-invalid arguments to HELO/EHLO

Michael Sims michaels at crye-leike.com
Fri May 23 10:07:01 EDT 2003

Quoting Joseph Brennan <brennan at columbia.edu>:

> RFC 2821 says
[snip]
> so you would be wrong to say "HELO requires fully qualified domain
> name or address literal" unless rephrased to say that your system
> requires it.  In the standard it's a SHOULD not a MUST.

Take a look at the comp.mail.sendmail thread I referenced in my original post,
they go over this point in detail.  Here is a relevant quote from RFC 2821:

---quote---
3.6 Domains

   Only resolvable, fully-qualified, domain names (FQDNs) are permitted
   when domain names are used in SMTP.  In other words, names that can
   be resolved to MX RRs or A RRs (as discussed in section 5) are
   permitted, as are CNAME RRs whose targets can be resolved, in turn,
   to MX or A RRs.  Local nicknames or unqualified names MUST NOT be
   used.  There are two exceptions to the rule requiring FQDNs:

   -  The domain name given in the EHLO command MUST BE either a primary
      host name (a domain name that resolves to an A RR) or, if the host
      has no name, an address literal as described in section 4.1.1.1.
---/quote---

Note that the word MUST appears twice in the above quote.  That appears to
contradict the SHOULD that appeared in the section you quoted.  So, which one
is correct?

Michael Sims
Project Analyst - Information Technology
Crye-Leike Realtors
Office: (901)758-5648  Pager: (901)769-3722