[Mimedefang] Suggestions on rejecting relays that provide syntactically-invalid arguments to HELO/EHLO

Michael Sims michaels at crye-leike.com
Fri May 23 02:32:01 EDT 2003

Quoting Kenneth Porter <shiva at sewingwitch.com>:

> > I'm also trying to decide what error I want to
> > give people.  I should probably give an error such as "Invalid argument
> > passed to HELO" or even "HELO requires fully qualified domain name or
> > address literal", but I hesitate to tell the spammers how to fix their
> > spamware to bypass this.
>
> Perhaps something cryptic like "Peer not RFC-compliant"?

I like it. :)  How about a nice Microsoft error message like:

"The action could not be completed. The action could not be completed."

or even better:

"There was a problem.  The command completed successfully."

or:

"An unknown error has occured.  Please save your work, reboot the Internet, and
try again."

Sorry, I'm in a bit of a silly mood tonight... :)

Michael Sims
Project Analyst - Information Technology
Crye-Leike Realtors
Office: (901)758-5648  Pager: (901)769-3722