[Mimedefang] slightly OT : spam html images only

Nels Lindquist nlindq at maei.ca
Thu May 22 13:34:00 EDT 2003

On 22 May 2003 at 16:23, Karel.DeBruyne at ua.ac.be wrote:

> recently, a lot of spam is a few lines of text and an image (or a few
> images).
> SpamAssassin 2.53 is rewarding this with a score of 1.9
> To me, this seems too little!
> Is it wise to modify the default scores of SpamAssassin ?

It really depends on the mix of mail you see at your site, and how
many false positives you'll see as a result of making changes.

Just FYI, I've been getting mail like that of late, and SA 2.5x hits
on rules like HTML_IMAGE_ONLY_02, HTML_60_70, HTML_IMAGE_RATIO_02,
MIME_HTML_ONLY, etc.

All of those rules have very small values, but you could bump them up
for your site if HTML mail is uncommon.

For me, the most effective thing has been training the bayesian
analyser (even site-wide, it makes a huge difference).  Despite the
small values added by the above tests, the BAYES_90 hit added enough
to kick it over the spam threshold.

----
Nels Lindquist <*>
Information Systems Manager