[Mimedefang] Blocking DSK & Cable modem users.

Joseph Brennan brennan at columbia.edu
Thu May 22 09:51:02 EDT 2003

>> IMHO no ISP should force its
>> customers to use its own domain for outgoing email.  That's just plain
>> wrong.
>
> I'd love to know about such a thing. I agree, that's evil, and a good
> reason for direct-to-MX.

At one time it was considered highly suspicious to want to send
mail with something other than your username and host in the
>From line.  Old timeshare-based email programs did not provide
a way to do it.

Obviously things change.  But it's not totally evil to want to do
it the old way.  It's faster and simpler to determine what account
was used to send problem mail.  I can see that side of it.

Joseph Brennan          Columbia University in the City of New York
postmaster at columbia.edu                 Academic Technologies Group