[Mimedefang] An item to be added to MD TODO list?

Andrzej Marecki amr at astro.uni.torun.pl
Thu May 22 03:46:01 EDT 2003

----- Forwarded message from Vanja Hrustic -----

On Wed, 21 May 2003 12:19:54 +0200 (MET DST)
Andrzej Marecki <amr at astro.uni.torun.pl> wrote:

> Apologies to you, Vanja, and all the readers for panicking!

Andrzej,

No need for apology. Glad that it all got sorted out.

> I hereby solemnly declare there is no "major bug" in sophie 3.xx (at
> least of this kind ;-). There is only, let's say, "unexpected behavior"
> of MIMEDefang. The result of my experience is that MIMEDefang users
> should be aware of the fact that "show_virusname" variable in
> /etc/sophie.cfg has a *major impact* on how MIMEDefang works and it
> should *NEVER* be set to "no".

I think MIMEDefang author should take care of that. There are many tools
using Sophie, I simply can't keep track of each of them, and keep track of
requirements/options required for each of them to work with Sophie.

Probably MIMEDefang README should include a note about what configuration
options should be set (for V3), in order to work properly with Sophie.

Take care.

Vanja

----- End of forwarded message from Vanja Hrustic -----

Vanja Hrustic (the author of Sophie, you know...) is right: at least
README.SOPHIE file should appear in future versions of MD. Also, I wonder if
this part of mimedefang.pl code:

        if ($output =~ /^1:(.*)$/) {
            $VirusScannerMessages .= "Sophie found the $1 virus.\n";
            $VirusName = $1;
            return (wantarray ? (1, 'virus', 'quarantine') : 1);
        }

...being a part of entity_contains_virus_sophie() and
message_contains_virus_sophie() might be reworked to become more immune to
tampering with Sophie's options which is possible (and is so easy) in V3.

--
Andrzej