[Mimedefang] Blocking DSK & Cable modem users.

listuser at numbnuts.net listuser at numbnuts.net
Wed May 21 20:28:01 EDT 2003

On Wed, 21 May 2003, Kenneth Porter wrote:

> --On Wednesday, May 21, 2003 12:31 PM -0500 listuser at numbnuts.net wrote:
>
> > IMHO no ISP should force its
> > customers to use it's own domain for outgoing email.  That's just plain
> > wrong.  If they want you to do advertising for them then they should pay
> > you for it.  Ask them to. :)  Somewhere I say a blacklist for providers
> > that rewrite or mandate the From.  I can't remember where I saw it though.
>
> I'd love to know about such a thing. I agree, that's evil, and a good reason
> for direct-to-MX.
>
> > Ah yes.  You've got to love these lists.  I don't recommend blocking based
> > on them though.  I'd highly recommend you score against these.
>
> I like SA's approach of using genetic analysis to determine the "quality" of
> different lists, in some cases negative. Admins who use SA have the option of
> zeroing out the scores for lists they don't approve of.

Their approach is pretty useful.  However a lot of people seem to be
nullifying the negative scoring rules due to spammer abuse of those rules.
I don't really mind a small negative scoring rule but something that gives
a -4 to a piece of mail just because it has a certain header is flawed
IMHO.

The best thing about using SA to score against DNSBLs is you can use all
the DNSBLs people normally object to there.  The people that don't like
blocking mail with SPEWS can't justify not scoring mail against SPEWS as
long as the score is 1 or so.  It's a great way to slip those useful lists
in the back door and block more spam.

Justin