[Mimedefang] Blocking DSK & Cable modem users.

listuser at numbnuts.net listuser at numbnuts.net
Wed May 21 13:34:01 EDT 2003

On Wed, 21 May 2003, Steffen Kaiser wrote:

> Seeing this, I do disagree with using these sort of stuff, because they
> (DUL list providers) say: Go and use your ISP's mail server to relay mail
> into the world. My provider at home actively gives away the information
> about all IP addresses they assign to dial-in computers, but do not offer
> a mail relay that let me send mail "as a role", with other words: They
> always shape From: and even Reply-To: to an email address they've assigned
> to me. Stuff like this makes me (as admin) to not support DUL lists,
> because they are currently only misused by ISPs to collect yet another
> fee, as if AUTH/TLS and to _not_ mangle the headers would be more resource
> consuming than their standard non-AUTH/TLS, but header mangling mail
> relay.

This is the problem with DUL lists.  IMHO no ISP should force its
customers to use it's own domain for outgoing email.  That's just plain
wrong.  If they want you to do advertising for them then they should pay
you for it.  Ask them to. :)  Somewhere I say a blacklist for providers
that rewrite or mandate the From.  I can't remember where I saw it though.

> BTW: There is another nice thingy, many ISPs get blocked as well:
> http://www.rfc-ignorant.org/ ;-)

Ah yes.  You've got to love these lists.  I don't recommend blocking based
on them though.  I'd highly recommend you score against these.  You'll
block a lot of legit mail if you block with these.  You didn't want to
know you were outbid on eBay, did you? :)

Justin