[Mimedefang] Blocking DSK & Cable modem users.

Steffen Kaiser skmimedefang at smail.inf.fh-bonn-rhein-sieg.de
Wed May 21 03:39:01 EDT 2003

On Tue, 20 May 2003, Dave Shepherd wrote:

> OK - I read an article today in the Seattle newspaper about AOL tracking
> down spammers only to learn
> that the spammer are hijacking users home computer to send mass spam
> unknown to the home users.
> And that this is getting to be the new preferred method for spammers
> overseas.

Using the already mentioned DUL block lists will do what you want, e.g.
see SourceForge
(http://sourceforge.net/docman/display_doc.php?docid=6747&group_id=1).

Seeing this, I do disagree with using these sort of stuff, because they
(DUL list providers) say: Go and use your ISP's mail server to relay mail
into the world. My provider at home actively gives away the information
about all IP addresses they assign to dial-in computers, but do not offer
a mail relay that let me send mail "as a role", with other words: They
always shape From: and even Reply-To: to an email address they've assigned
to me. Stuff like this makes me (as admin) to not support DUL lists,
because they are currently only misused by ISPs to collect yet another
fee, as if AUTH/TLS and to _not_ mangle the headers would be more resource
consuming than their standard non-AUTH/TLS, but header mangling mail
relay.

BTW: There is another nice thingy, many ISPs get blocked as well:
http://www.rfc-ignorant.org/ ;-)

Using DUL is controverse discussed in many lifes, see:
http://kt.zork.net/kernel-traffic/kt20010422_115.html

Bye,

--
Steffen Kaiser