[Mimedefang] Tarpit for dictionary attacks

Jeffrey Goldberg jeffrey at goldmark.org
Wed May 21 03:12:00 EDT 2003

On Wed, 21 May 2003 listuser at numbnuts.net wrote:

> > [...]  If you look at logs you
> > will see that a dictionary attack usually begins with
> >
> >  RCPT TO:<some-unlikely-string at your.dom.ain>
> >

> > If that gets accepted the probe will figure that you catch everything for
> > your domain.
>
> This would be a problem.

Yup.  Right now I'm looking at the logs of something that started with

 849T28126H187962bfb

Then tried
 kelly
 robin
 ryan
 art
 er

It gave up quickly because I had sendmail's throttling of this turned on.
Otherwise it would have gone through scores of guesses per second.

-j

--
Jeffrey Goldberg                            http://www.goldmark.org/jeff/
 Hate spam?  Boycott MCI! http://www.goldmark.org/jeff/anti-spam/mci/