[Mimedefang] Mimedefang+Spamassassin

listuser at numbnuts.net listuser at numbnuts.net
Wed May 21 00:42:00 EDT 2003

On Wed, 21 May 2003, Mathew Thomas wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have installed MIMEDefang + SpamAssassin on Sun server running Solaris
> 9 with McAfee antivirus. I used the article, "The MIMEDefang HOWTO",
> from Micky Hill to do the installation. Looks like my SpamAssassin
> installation is not working. The SpamAssassin Document says
>
> "By default, X-Spam-Status, X-Spam-Checker-Version, (and optionally
> X-Spam-Level) will be added to all messages scanned by SpamAssassin."

Hopefully someone else can help you identify the problem.  I wanted to
point out however that when SpamAssassin is called from MIMEDefang it
can't actually alter the message.  Only MD can make changes.  SA can only
return information to MD.  This means that the headers you might expect SA
to add might not be there.  I say might because MD adds the important ones
for you itself.

Have you tried boucing a really good piece of spam through the server?
Perhaps your default score is high enough that no spam is being tagged.
I set my required_hits to 0 to score all mail.  This way my users and I
can get a good feel for what normal mail scores so we can define the best
thresholds for our tolerance level.  My auto_report_threshold is 1000 to
prevent any reporting.
(/etc/mail/mimedefang/spamassassin/sa-mimedefang.cf).

Justin