[Mimedefang] Blocking DSK & Cable modem users.

Jeffrey Goldberg jeffrey at goldmark.org
Tue May 20 17:39:01 EDT 2003

On Tue, 20 May 2003, Dave Shepherd wrote:

> spammers are hijacking users home computer to send mass spam unknown to
> the home users. And that this is getting to be the new preferred method
> for spammers overseas.

> So is what I was thinking is that I would block all hostnames that had
> some identifying string that would lend me think that it's a home
> computer.

There are DNSbls that list these sorts of things.  (The best one was run
by someone quoted in the NYT article, but it got sued and DoS-ed out of
existence years ago).

More usefully would be to use a list like list.dsbl.org, which lists open
proxies and open relays.

You can even contirbute to their list by installing their testing software
and running it on all the spam that does get through.  That way, open
relays/proxies will get listed quickly.

-j

--
Jeffrey Goldberg                            http://www.goldmark.org/jeff/