[Mimedefang] Red Hat 7.2

Joseph Brennan brennan at columbia.edu
Mon May 19 13:35:01 EDT 2003

--On Monday, May 19, 2003 10:30 -0700 Kenneth Porter
<shiva at sewingwitch.com> wrote:

> --On Sunday, May 18, 2003 10:17 PM -0600 Lucas Albers
> <admin at cs.montana.edu> wrote:
>
>> You should install a virus scanner.
>> I had virus's slip by via office attachments.

Are you referring to "ms-tnef" attachments, a/k/a winmail.dat ?
We had some back-and-forth about allowing those.  Ideally we
could decode them into their parts and at least identify
executables when they are in there.  Apparently much of the
time they contain only RTF text and sometimes not even that.

Joseph Brennan          Columbia University in the City of New York
postmaster at columbia.edu                 Academic Technologies Group