[Mimedefang] Sophie 3.01/3.02 does not set $FoundVirus in mimedefang-filter

Andrzej Marecki amr at astro.uni.torun.pl
Mon May 19 07:57:01 EDT 2003

There is a major bug in sophie 3.01 (and 3.02 as well).

Even if sophie detects a virus, the $FoundVirus variable in
/etc/mail/mimedefang-filter is not set to "true" and so the code:

            # discard without notification Viruses which fake SMTP info
            return action_discard() if $VirusName =~ ...

            # Bounce the mail!
            action_bounce("Virus $VirusName found in mail - rejected");

            # But quarantine the part for examination later.  Comment
            # the next line out if you don't want to bother.
            action_quarantine($entity, "A known virus was discovered....

is never executed!!!

Luckilly viruses get caught because usually they fulfill the $bad_exts
condition (they are .exe's .pif's etc.) and so they are flagged thanks to
filter_bad_filename(). But this is definitely NOT the right way to treat
them! Viruses should be either bounced back or discarded and not quarantined
*just because* they are e.g. exe's. BTW, I discovered this because I:

            # But quarantine the part for examination later.  Comment
            # the next line out if you don't want to bother.
            # action_quarantine($entity, "A known virus was discovered....

... indeed didn't want to bother and commented action_quarantine() out here.
Still, viruses flooded into my quarantine directory.

Andrzej

P.S. I'm crossposting this to mimedefang at lists.roaringpenguin.com
and vtools at vanja.com.

A.
Andrzej Marecki                |
Torun Centre for Astronomy     |   e-mail: amr at astro.uni.torun.pl
N. Copernicus University       |   WWW:    http://www.astro.uni.torun.pl
ul. Gagarina 11                |   tel: +48 56 6113032
PL-87-100 Torun, POLAND        |   fax: +48 56 6113009