[Mimedefang] MimeDefang and SpamAssassin

Lucas Albers admin at cs.montana.edu
Mon May 19 00:13:00 EDT 2003

I am working on implemting this on my system.
It all comes down to one underlying goal.
I don't even want the spam messages to be on my system.
I plan to reject them completelly.
David has documented his program quite well, and written it quite
modularly, so it has not been as difficult as I assumed.

I will have two settings in the individual sa config.
The required level, which is normally 5.
And the reject level which by default will be at the required level+5.
When spam hits the reject level it gets rejected at the smtp level.

I am not planning to post my modifications anywhere.
I don't want to take away any customers from Dave's Canit program.
Which does what I am planning to do, and more.

If you use a sql backend database to store the user pref's, and then
configure your webmail via squirrelmail, users can configure their mail
for any imap mailbox.
That is you can have a single mimdefang+sendmail+sa, filter mail for
multiple email servers, and users can configure their own individual
settings via the web.

If you use a sql database you cannot use bayesian filtering.

This is the questions I am debating, whether to try and port bayesian
filtering to the sa+sql, or stay with not using the sql database for
storing user pref's.

The bayesian filter port is more difficult then I am willing to attempt
currently. Perhaps after I accomplish the original goal, I might undertake
that port. Probably not.

--Luke
I will never buy anything from Staples Again.
They F. you on the rebate.