[Mimedefang] RE: MD and fetchmail

Troy Carpenter troy at carpenter.cx
Fri May 16 21:32:02 EDT 2003

I have been fighting this battle for some time.  In my case, almost all
my email coming in via fetchmail is SPAM, but since it is my ISP email
account, I get notifications from my ISP on that account and need it.
In my case, Spamassassin is running on these emails and marking them
correctly as SPAM.  Where I would like to beef this up is during
blacklist checking.

Since fetchmail injects the email into sendmail after fetching, in my
case the email appears to come from the loopback IP address.  You may
want to check that you don't have a line that skips Spamassassin if the
relay address is the loopback address (127.0.0.1).

This behavior also prevents the blacklists (Mimedefang and Spamassassin
rules) from seeing the original relay address since it is buried after
the loopback and my ISP's mail server address.  As a result, it is
possible for questionable SPAM to end up, albeit properly tagged, in my
mailbox.

I have yet to attempt to code a solution for this in mimedefang.  It
would involve searching through the received headers for the right one
and getting the IP address from it.

Troy