[Mimedefang] Mimedefang 2.33 + Spamassassin 2.44-11.8.x on RedHat 9

alan premselaar alien at 12inch.com
Thu May 15 06:50:01 EDT 2003

On 5/15/03 7:34 PM, "Toomas Vann" <tom at bns.ee> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I have follwing issue.
> I installed RedHat9 , where sendmail and spamassassin are therefore from
> rpm-s and now if i try to use MimeDefang i get following errors in
> my maillog. And i get them a lot...
...snip...

> May 15 13:18:26 hal mimedefang-multiplexor: Slave 0 stderr:
> 8.0/Mail/SpamAssassin/PerMsgStatus.pm line 1328. Malformed UTF-8 character
> (unexpected non-continuation byte 0xcc, immediately after start byte 0xcc)
> in pattern match (m//) at
> /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.0/Mail/SpamAssassin/PerMsgStatus.pm line
> 1328. Malformed UTF-8 character (unexpected non-continuation byte 0xcc,
> immediately after start byte 0xcc) in pattern match (m//) at
> /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.0/Mail/SpamAssassin/PerMsgStatus.pm line
> 1328. Malformed UTF-8 character (unexpected non-continuati
>
> It seemese that Mimedefang does not like spamassassin very much... But can
> someone show me
> the way how to fix this situation....

This looks like a locale issue with RH9 and Perl 5.8.0.  I'm not very
familiar with it, as i'm still running RH 7.3 on my mail servers, but I've
seen this come up before in a couple of lists.

in an interactive shell, the solution is to set LANG=C (or to unset LANG
alltogether). I'm not sure exactly how to make that sort of change in this
scenario.  Hopefully either someone else from the list(s) can help with that
or you can find that out on your own.

hopefully this helps

alan