[Mimedefang] Notifying virus recipients

Adrian Chadd adrian at creative.net.au
Thu May 15 02:57:01 EDT 2003

hi,

I've been playing with mimedefang and I have it nearly doing all the
per-user options that I want.

The only thing I haven't managed to make it do yet is notify a recipient
that they might have been sent a virus.

Ie, if foo at domain.com is sent a virus I've currently got it configured
to send back to the virus sender a bounce message. I'd also like
to email foo at domain.com that sender bar at domain2.com sent them a potential
virus.

Any clues, example snippets?

Whilst I'm at embarrasing myself, take a look at:

(MAINTAINING STATE from mimedefang-filter manpage)

In general, for a given mail message, these groups of functions may be
called in completely different Perl processes.   Thus,  there
is no way to maintain state inside Perl between groups of functions.
That is, you cannot set a variable in filter_relay and expect
it to be available in filter_sender, because the filter_sender invocation
might take place in a completely different process.

Now, in the example mimedefang-filter script the $FoundVirus variable
is set in filter_begin() and tested in filter(). Thats keeping state, right?
I'm doing some state-keeping magic in my filter for per-recipient
filters and it _seems_ to Do the right thing. What gives?

Adrian

--
Adrian Chadd			"It shouldn't take an hour and a half for
<adrian at creative.net.au>	  "any woman to take a bath."