[Mimedefang] savemail panic

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Wed May 14 20:54:00 EDT 2003

On Wed, 14 May 2003, Jim Shewmaker wrote:

>   I've seen this before, but for some reason I'm been stuck here all day.

You're rejecting virus-bearing e-mails.  So what's happening is:

1) Sendmail tries to send the virus; it gets rejected.

2) Sendmail tries to send a bounce message to the original sender; the bounce
gets rejected too.

3) Sendmail tries to send the bounce to postmaster, and *it* gets rejected
as well.

4) Sendmail barfs and says "savemail panic"

You can fix it by:

1) Adding "nobodyreturn" to the PrivacyOptions Sendmail config flag.  This
prevents the bounce message from triggering the virus detection.

2) Discarding (rather than bouncing) viruses.

3) Not doing the test as root at localhost, but testing from an external machine.