[Mimedefang] backup MX server & checking for valid users

alan premselaar alien at 12inch.com
Wed May 14 01:38:00 EDT 2003

On 5/14/03 1:41 PM, "Jim McCullars" <jim at info.uah.edu> wrote:

> On Wed, 14 May 2003, alan premselaar wrote:
>
>> is there any way to configure sendmail and/or MD to do an SMTP user_exists
>> type of check from the secondary MX server to the primary MX server? (making
>
>  Check out the md_check_against_smtp_server function in the
> mimedefang-filter man page.  I think that's what you're looking for.
>
> Jim

aHA! that's exactly what i was looking for... thanks!

now, i've read the docs re: that function, and added a filter_recipient
subroutine in my filter, but it doesn't appear to be doing anything.
i used the one from the example in the manpage, since that's basically all i
need it to do (replacing the hostnames with the appropriate ones) but it
doesn't appear to be getting called.  do i need to call it myself from some
other part of the filter? the man page wasn't all that clear about it.

are there any specific sendmail configuration settings i need to have in
place for this to work also?

currently i have

define(`confSMART_HOST',`name.of.primary.mx.server')
FEATURE(`relay_entire_domain')

set in my sendmail.mc file, and in my mailertable:

mydomain    smtp:[name.of.primary.mx.server]

although i'm not sure if this is the correct way to have this machine
configured or not, really.

alan