[Mimedefang] Slightly OT: Advice on updating MX record (was SMTP error return after DATA?)

Michael Sofka sofkam at rpi.edu
Fri May 9 16:21:01 EDT 2003

On Friday 09 May 2003 15:58, -ray wrote:
> Sorry to reply to my own post. :)  What i've seen, and assume, is there
> are a lot of misconfigured/non-compliant DNS servers out there that cache
> records longer than they should.  But i'd be interested to hear others'
> take on this.

Yes.  When we switched IP and MX there were machines trying the old
address weeks later.  These were legitimate machines, whose admins
contacted us in response to user complaints.   Also, as I said in
a previous post, desktop email clients on windows and mac will only
lookup an address once.  We had to tell many people to reboot in
order to send email.

Mike

Michael D. Sofka              sofkam at rpi.edu
C&CT Sr. Systems Programmer    Email, TeX, epistemology.
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, NY.  http://www.rpi.edu/~sofkam/