[Mimedefang] filter_relay not working

Joseph Brennan brennan at columbia.edu
Fri May 9 11:09:00 EDT 2003

--On Friday, May 9, 2003 08:12 -0400 "David F. Skoll"
<dfs at roaringpenguin.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 9 May 2003, Jack Olszewski wrote:
>
>> How safe is it to reject hosts that greet the receiving end with their
>> ip numbers?
>
> I do it all the time, and I've never had anyone contact me to complain.
>
>> In other words, aren't there any legitimate mail servers
>> presenting themselves like that?
>
> Not that I'm aware of.

I withdraw half the message I just wrote. I think David is right.

But look out for hostnames like 200.162.238.223.sao.ajato.com.br
in the regexp.  (That's the only example I could find quickly.)

>> And what about strings with no dots in them?
>
> Those are OK; I accept those.

That's what I was really thinking about.  This is common
enough in legit mail.  Note "localhost" of course!

Joseph Brennan          Columbia University in the City of New York
postmaster at columbia.edu                 Academic Technologies Group