[Mimedefang] SMTP error return after DATA?

Michael Sims michaels at crye-leike.com
Thu May 8 20:25:01 EDT 2003

Quoting Nels Lindquist <nlindq at maei.ca>:

> On 8 May 2003 at 15:38, Myles Uyema wrote:
> >
> > action_bounce() seems to be almost the function I'm looking for, but it
> > sounds like the mail is accepted and then a new bounce e-mail is drafted.
>
> Actually, action_bounce() does exactly what you want; it returns a
> reject code during the SMTP conversation.

Maybe the OP has multiple SMTP servers and is relaying to a dedicated MD
relay.  If this were the case then the responsibility of generating a DSN would
fall back to his primary relay, thus giving the illusion that MD was generating
a separate message.

The only reason I say that is because I'm about to do something like this
myself.  I'm moving my MD/SA content filtering to a dedicated server, and
having my primary exchanger relay everything to it as a smart host.  I'm doing
this to balance out the load primarily, but I realized that since everything
will come to my dedicated MD/SA machine via my primary relay, and I bounce
messages with a SA score of 15 or higher, it will end up having to generate
bounces to most likely non-existent accounts...  I can't think of a way around
this though.  When my primary relay accepts the message in order to relay it to
the dedicated MD/SA server, it has accepted ultimate responsibility for that
message's delivery.  I guess I will just have to put up with an abnormally
large mail queue on that server...

Michael Sims
Project Analyst - Information Technology
Crye-Leike Realtors
Office: (901)758-5648  Pager: (901)769-3722