Negative scores (was Re: [Mimedefang] scores displayed in $tests)

Nels Lindquist nlindq at maei.ca
Wed May 7 13:07:01 EDT 2003

On 7 May 2003 at 12:39, David F. Skoll wrote:

> On Wed, 7 May 2003, Nels Lindquist wrote:
>
> > One example: you're using one of those MUAs and your ISP has been
> > placed on multiple DNSBLs through no fault of your own.
>
> I would guess that many (most?) ISP's use DNSBLs in the access db, so
> you'll be rejected even before SpamAssassin can get its hands on the
> message.

At the moment that's true, but using DNSBL checks within SpamAssassin
results in far fewer false positives than simple DNSBL-based
rejection, precisely because of SA's ability to compensate.

Although the SA maintainers strongly advise against rejecting mail
based on SA scores, since v2.5x we've had zero false positive rejects
(at a threshold of 10) which was definitely not the case back in the
days when we rejected mail via Sendmail DNSBL lookups.

----
Nels Lindquist <*>
Information Systems Manager
Morningstar Air Express Inc.