[Mimedefang] MimeDefang header changes not working sometimes

Michael Sims michaels at crye-leike.com
Tue May 6 23:54:01 EDT 2003

Quoting alan premselaar <alien at 12inch.com>:

> I added a line in my filter to add a X-Spam-Status: TEST SKIPPED (<actual
> size> / <max size>) header if the email was skipped due to size so that i
> could track it.

I do something similar, but I took it one step farther...since there are a
couple of other reasons I skip the spam check, I add a new header called X-SA-
Status to indicate why I skip a spamassassin check.  Here's an excerpt from my
filter:

use constant SA_MSG_TOO_LARGE          => 1;
use constant SA_MSG_FROM_TRUSTED_RELAY => 2;
use constant SA_MSG_FROM_EXEMPT_RELAY  => 3;

if ($trustedRelay) {
  action_add_header('X-SA-Status', SA_MSG_FROM_TRUSTED_RELAY);

} elsif ($exemptRelay) {
  action_add_header('X-SA-Status', SA_MSG_FROM_EXEMPT_RELAY);

} elsif (-s "./INPUTMSG" >= 100*1024) {
  action_add_header('X-SA-Status', SA_MSG_TOO_LARGE);

} else {

}

This nice thing about this is it doesn't reveal anything to anyone about why
the message was skipped unless they know what my constant values are.  This
comes in handy if for some reason a message is scanned at my server and then
later included in a bounce back to the spammer (which happens in the case of a
quota violation, for example).  I know it's not very likely for a spammer to
scan the headers looking for ways to bypass my spam scanning, but every little
bit helps...

Michael Sims
Project Analyst - Information Technology
Crye-Leike Realtors
Office: (901)758-5648  Pager: (901)769-3722