[Mimedefang] MimeDefang header changes not working sometimes

alan premselaar alien at 12inch.com
Tue May 6 21:09:01 EDT 2003

On 5/7/03 2:27 AM, "Nels Lindquist" <nlindq at maei.ca> wrote:

> On 1 May 2003 at 12:57, Fred Felgenhauer wrote:
>
>> I am running MimeDefang 2.32, SpamAssassin 2.53 and sendmail 8.12.9 on Red
>> Hat 8. Ocassionaly, email gets through MimeDefang without geting tagged at
>> all. According to the maillog, MimeDefang saw the mail, attempted to tag it,
>> but no tags were seen in the delivered mail. Has anyone seen this problem?
>> More importantly, does any one know how to fix it?
>
> This is a wild-assed guess on my part, but are you sure
> Exchange/Outlook isn't doing any munging of the headers?  I seem to
> recall a thread on the sa-talk list about just how difficult it was
> to get a complete copy of a message with *all* headers (not just the
> ones Microsoft suspects you might like to see) from an Exchange
> server.

I experienced this early on in my MD / SA implementation, after significant
debugging and adding md_log entries in my filter script, i determined the
problem was actually the size of the messages were larger than the scan max
size I had set in my filter. so, yeah, the messages were "seen by MD", but
not tagged as spam because they were too large to be processed by
spamassassin.

I added a line in my filter to add a X-Spam-Status: TEST SKIPPED (<actual
size> / <max size>) header if the email was skipped due to size so that i
could track it.

hope this helps

alan