[Mimedefang] Email Monitoring

Jeffrey Goldberg jeffrey at goldmark.org
Tue May 6 12:49:01 EDT 2003

On Tue, 6 May 2003 jimmy2600 at hushmail.com wrote:

> [...] Now I'm not looking to start a debate on the legal, moral or
> ethical implications but just the technical implementations.

OK.

> I've been asked by a company to set up some kind of email monitoring
> software, what they want is to record (save the full email and any
> attachments) mail which is sent to certain domains i.e. competitors,
> some kind of alert after such a event should also be sent to a number of
> senior executives in the co.

I know how to do this with exim, but presumably you are using sendmail.

> [...] It's a beefy Redhat8.0 box using Spamassasin and Mimedefang.

Assuming you are running sendmail, I'd recommend that you do this in your
sendmail config instead of through MIMEdefang.  For details on how to do
this, you you'll have to ask sendmail experts, but the general strategy
will be to set up "special" routers for the domains in question, and get
those routers to force a copy sent to a particular alias.

Then, behind that alias, you deliver to a file (to archive) and pipe to
your event notifier.

In MIMEDefang, you could also do this simply by using add_recipient to
particular messages.

> 1. Hopefully find some kind of open source implementation that can do
> what I want.

There may already be something ready, but I don't know of it.

> Any input (apart from big brother type arguments would be greatly
> appreciated)

Am I allowed to point out the irony of you using hushmail?

-j

--
Jeffrey Goldberg                            http://www.goldmark.org/jeff/
 Hate spam?  Boycott MCI! http://www.goldmark.org/jeff/anti-spam/mci/