[Mimedefang] Help with relay=defang at localhost

Scott.Larnach at ed.ac.uk Scott.Larnach at ed.ac.uk
Tue May 6 09:03:00 EDT 2003

On Tue, 6 May 2003, Bill Maidment wrote:

> I'm running MD 2.33 with sendmail 8.12.9 and SA 2.53 and I've just
> switched on quarantine notification, but nothing gets through.

One for the FAQ, maybe?

Under sendmail 8.12, mail submitted from a local account (such as
defang) is processed by submit.cf, queued in the client queue
/var/spool/clientmqueue, and sent to localhost, where it is processed by
the "main" sendmail daemon. Mimedefang submits mail using deferred
delivery mode: messages aren't sent immediately, presumably to avoid
exacerbating loaded situations. So you must run a client queue runner or
mail will stick in the client queue. Say

  mailq -Ac

and you should see if messages are stuck there.

You need to run a client queue runner, typically something like

  /usr/lib/sendmail -Ac -q15m

as well as the "normal" listener and queue runner, something like

  /usr/lib/sendmail -bd -q15m

Check your sendmail init script /etc/init.d/sendmail, which should
start up the two daemons. The full story about this client/server
arrangement is in <SENDMAIL SOURCE>/sendmail/SECURITY.

> Trusted-users has defang in it,
> but I still get a warning on the log. I suspect relay=defang at localhost
> is a pointer to the problem, but I'm stumped. Log follows:

The warning doesn't hold up your mail but is an indication that it is
being processed by submit.cf and not sendmail.cf. To suppress it,
submit.cf needs to reference trusted-users. Try adding

  FEATURE(`use_ct_file')dnl

to your submit.mc and remaking your submit.cf. Install it in /etc/mail.

Hope this helps

Scott Larnach, Edinburgh University, Scotland.