[Mimedefang] How I updated RedHat to Sendmail 8.12.8

Alan Madill amadill at hwy16.com
Mon May 5 13:52:01 EDT 2003

> All,

I spent all weekend upgrading a RH8.0 system with razor,
spamassassin, and mimedefang.

As my last act I upgraded all of the erratta from redhat.  Mimedefang
broke with the sendmail update.

wget
ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/updates/8.0/en/os/SRPMS/send
mail-8.12.*.src.rpm

rpmbuild --rebuild sendmail-8.12.8-5.80.src.rpm

rpm -Uvh --force /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386/sendmail*rpm

using rpm -Fvh --force /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386/sendmail*rpm did
not work.  The above installs all 4 packages.

cd mimedefang_source
make clean; perl Makefile.PL; make test; make install

(save time by skipping the make test...)

The new sendmail put .rpmnew files in the /etc/init.d and /etc/mail
directories.  Make the appropriate changes.  To be safe I copied
them over the existing files (after backing up) and then added the
mimedefang filter entries and other customizations.  Also separated
the mimedefang init script from sendmail in init.d to make future
upgrades easier.

Do a make in /etc/mail, check the sendmail.cf, restart sendmail.

(I left out the RTFM and man thisandthat steps :-)

I started the project in the late afternoon, dropped it, and finished it
off this morning.  While mimedefang wasn't running 180 SPAM
messages slid into my mailbox.  I had forgotten what a pain that is to
deal with.

Thanks David for a truly useful tool.

> Here's how I upgraded to the newest sendmail on my redhat 7.2 box.
>
> 1.  get the sendmail source rpm for RH8.0 (sendmail-8.12.8-1.80.src.rpm).
> I got it from the redhat ftp site.
> ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/updates/8.0/en/os/SRPMS/sendmail-8.12.8-1.80.src.rpm
>
> 2.  build the binary RPMS from the source. rpm --rebuild sendmail-8.12.8-1.80.src.rpm
>
> 3.  install the binary RPMS. rpm -Uvh /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386/sendmail-8.12.8*.rpm
>
> 4.  download newest mimedefang, untar it, make it, make install it...
>
> done...
>
> Note:  I already had mimedefang running on this box with an older version
> of sendmail... I tried the above procedure for the update of sendmail, and
> it appears to work.
>
> Regards,
> John
>
> > Message: 11
> > From: "Eric Wood" <eric at interplas.com>
> > To: <mimedefang at lists.roaringpenguin.com>
> > Subject: Re: [Mimedefang] SECURITY: Update to Sendmail 8.12.8 ASAP
> > Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 16:48:44 -0500
> >
> > But I thought mimedefang strongly advised not to run on anything less than
> > 8.12.7 sendmail because of bugs in the milter code - thereby having
> > potential filter problems.  Do you know if RH's latest rpm is as good as
> > 8.12.8 - meaning RH has also backported 8.12.7's milter fixes to 8.11.6.
> >
> > I doubt it.
> > -eric wood
> >
> > From: "Ashley M. Kirchner":
> > >     This does NOT mean that they're running an old version, they just
> > > can't maintain the same version numbers due to other dependencies, so
> > > they backport fixes to their own released versions.  Having said that,
> > > if you can upgrade your 8.11.5 to 8.11.6.23.73, you should be fine.

Alan Madill - Aspen House Systems
250 567-4200