[Mimedefang] Not my battle (SA + MD)

Ashley M. Kirchner ashley at pcraft.com
Sun Mar 30 03:22:01 EST 2003

    Okay, this is now driving me up the wall.  Some of you may recall me
trying to figure out why after installing SpamAssassin 2.50 nothing
worked.  A lot of you said it had to do with SA's paths and old config
files and such.

    Okay.  I decided to take another stab at it today.  First I
downloaded SA-2.52, then I completely removed all files related to SA
from the system.  As in physically 'rm -rf'-ed them.  I just scanned
everything in /usr and pitched everything related to SA.

    Then I configured SA with --prefix=/usr, compiled, tested, and
installed.  Then I grabbed the latest MIMEDefang 2.31, configured,
compiled and installed that.  Started the whole shebang back up and
waited....  First incoming email and this is what I get:

----------
sm-mta[32304]: h2U74qKb032304: from=<imp-bounces at lists.horde.org>,
size=2267, class=-30, nrcpts=1,
msgid=<20030329234948.B3850 at xmission.com>, proto=ESMTP, daemon=MTA,
relay=vlad.horde.org [199.175.137.148]
mimedefang-multiplexor: Slave 2 stderr: Out of memory!
mimedefang-multiplexor: Slave 2 ran out of memory -- possible DoS attack
due to complex MIME?
mimedefang[32305]: Error from multiplexor: ERR No response from slave
sm-mta[32304]: h2U74qKb032304: Milter: data, reject=451 4.7.1 Please try
again later
sm-mta[32304]: h2U74qKb032304: to=<ashley at pcraft.com>, delay=00:00:05,
pri=85808, stat=Please try again later
mimedefang-multiplexor: Reap: Idle slave 2 (pid 32247) exited normally
with status 1 (SLAVE DIED UNEXPECTEDLY)
mimedefang-multiplexor: Slave 2 resource usage: req=1, scans=1,
user=7.787, sys=0.804, nswap=0, majflt=624, minflt=5685, maxrss=0, bi=0,
bo=0
mimedefang-multiplexor: Starting slave 2 (pid 32306) (3 running):
Bringing slaves up to minSlaves (3)

    Okay, what the !#&*$ ?!  I dropped back to SA-2.44 and once again,
everything works.  For the record, that was a valid message - it got
delivered just fine after re-installing 2.44...  So, what gives?!